Saturday, February 12, 2011

Singapore and Malaysia A look back

Singapore was great.  That said it is almost due solely to Kiong.  He was such a fun and giving guide.  It is amazing when you meet someone who moves at your speed and and who is so clearing is enjoying taking you around so much.  Everyone who knows me knows it takes someone great for me to shut it down and just go along for the ride.  The food was so much fun because of Kiong, the climbing, plastic and rock, was so much fun because of Kiong, and seeing the country of Singapore was so much fun because of Kiong.  He's on facebook if anyone ever comes to Singapore look him up.  If he was not there I probably would not go back.

Malaysia as a country was lousy but the climbing was fun for a few days.  If I went back I would spend more on my accommodation which would put me into the $100 price range.  While there I never felt really safe and I didn't like the culture much.  I was excited to visit a Muslim country because I was curious to learn more about the religion.  The climbing was great steep limestone, no crowds, and not bad access.  My big failing for the visit was I guess it was wet season because it rained everyday and continues to rain everyday.  Weighing everything I would not go back or at least I would not go back to Kuala Lumpur.

1 comment:

pinky piggy said...

Hi Ken, Anja,

Was googling through some pics of Nanyang, Batu Caves and stumbled on your blog.

Glad that you enjoyed climbing at Nanyang and Damai. The Batu Caves crags are our weekend climbing playground for those who live in Kuala Lumpur and nearby.

Well, I also see why you are disappointed with your visit to KL and Malaysia overall. 3 days (+ climbing thrown in)is really too short to visit this amazing place we call home. Hope the rain did not put you off to visit us again.

And when you decide to come again, do drop a note with the climbing community here. You'll be amazed with the friendliness and assistance that are always rendered to visitors.

cheers,
rachel (rachloke@gmail.com)