Monday, June 27, 2011

Turkey-Olympos Horguc Magara (Day 117)

We found a little more motivation to go for a longer walk and headed over to Olympos Canyon to climb at Hörgüç Magara (Horguch Cave).

P5093319

The approach was arduous.  First we had to hike down the beach for like 15 minutes.

P5093322

Then we had to hike through the ancient town of Olympos which dates back to the 2nd century BC.

P5093323

Walking through town.

P5093352

Horguc Magara and Horguc Ghetto is the little cave high on the right.

P5093327

We started in the back of the cave on Oyuncak Dünya 5.10c which was nice but had a hard clip to the anchor.

P5093329

Above I’m on Manik Depresif 5.10c right where it got hard and it was even before the anchors.

P5093331

Anja then of course had to try the tufa climb of Die Another Day 5.11a just to the right which was pretty cool left slanting tufa to some tufa columns.  Tufas are just one of the coolest things to climb.  I still love it.

We were out of climbs we could do in the cave so I wanted to head up to the Horguc Getto just five minutes up the trail below the cliff.

P5093333

I got on Seniorenfalle 5.10b I struggled about halfway up on this cool overhang that was well above my last bolt. 

P5093336

I went up and down trying the moves and trying to find a better hold to be able to progress upward to the reach the next bolt but just couldn’t find any thing. Finally I tried to the right of the bolt which looked like so much less fun on delicate crimping hold and found some and went for it. No problem then it was cruiser to the top. Of course Anja just floated up it.

P5093337

After the previous route going up and down I felt wiped but Anja wanted more so we got on Auf Dem Holzweg 5.10b a steep route just to the right of the previous route.  It was pretty fun on big holds so Anja cruised it and I struggled up it.

P5093341

Heading back down the trail we came across Biricik 5.10b which looked ok from the ground so I headed up it.  I absolutely loved this climb.  I can’t exactly say why but it was a cool mixture of jugs to balancy moves and stemming.  It was just a climb that required a little bit of every technic.

P5093351

The view down to new Olympos town.  Not a place I’d want to stay.  There are lots of hostels and cheaper accommodations here but it is really packed in and just didn’t seem as relaxed as Cirali.

P5093358

Back down the beach at sunset.  This place is just soo crowded.  Smile

No comments: