Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Turkey-Olympos Cennet (Day 118)

The last climbing area in Olympos we wanted to visit before we left Turkey was Cennet (Jennet).  It looked like the poorest climbing but in the coolest location.

P5103362

We had to start with another long walk down the beach.  Smile

P5103364

Then the approach trail took us past Genevoise Castle overlooking the ocean on a cliff.

P5103365

It was about a 45 minute walk from the hotel to the cliff.

P5103367

We started off on Deja Vu 5.9 which was a little sharp but was ok otherwise.

P5103377

Then we got on Kur Kur 5.10d (6b) which was listed as two pitches but only 27 meters total so we did it just as one pitch.  Anja was able to do it clean but I got shutdown but a thin crimpy section at the first bolt of the “second pitch” and had to hang.

P5103371 The views from the top of this cliff and especially from the top of Kur Kur were just epic!

P5103384

I’d read about a nice “crack” route on the far left named Tutsunami 5.10a so went over.  It wasn’t much of a crack but it was really fun with good finger tip jugs of sorts with almost no footholds which required kind of cool toe hooking to the left the crack as I went up.

P5103390

I was feeling strong and good after the “crack" so I gave Bloody 5.11a a try.  Oh it was way too hard up I struggled up it hanging at about every other bolt.

P5103394

We’d climbed everything on the left and headed back to a route we’d seen on the way in called Bismillah 5.10b/c.  It was a great route steep with nice holds, not too sharp, and just difficult enough or easy enough for me.

P5103398

I then jumped on Wicked Game 5.9+ which was nice and cruiser.

P5103400

Then 657 5.9+.

P5103404

It got a little thin and balancy.

To round out the day we climbed Angel 5.8 which was pretty mundane.

P5103412

This photo is out of order because we were sitting at this restaurant waiting for our food we had just ordered and Anja wanted to take a picture of something and asked me for the camera. I replied “you’ve had the camera all day.  I don’t have it”  “Uh Oh”.  I quickly put my shoes back on and went for a run.  I checked the last climb we did it wasn’t there because we hadn’t taken a picture of it.  I checked the climb we did before that but not there either. Last, I checked where Anja had packed up her bag and it was there sitting on a rock.

P5103408

I grabbed a couple of shots of the sunset as I ran back.

P5103411

 

P5103413

I got back to the restaurant and the waiter had seen me run out and stopped our food order until I got back.

P5103416

Anja was happy I found the camera.

P5103419

We we got back to our room we had a guest just outside our door a wild hedgehog.  Well everyone who’s know me a long time knows I lived with a hedgehog that my college girlfriend often carried in her purse.  That is a long story but this guy saw us and hunkered to the ground but I asked Anja if she had ever seen one ball up? 

P5103424

Luckily, I had a beer bottle so I flipped the hedgehog over and it balled up.  Oddly, it wasn’t to pissed off with me.  Trust me when I say I know what a pissed off hedgehog looks like and I’m sure this one would have bit me if I put my finger near it but didn’t seem too upset.

No comments: