Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lava Dome - Joshua Tree - November 6, 2010

The weather was a perfect November day so we knew lots of people would be out so after a very slow morning getting motivated we headed to Geology Tour Road to Lava Dome.

Lava Dome has some great routes and no one is ever out there but even that day there was one party out there in the area but I'm sure they steered clear when they saw our herd of people.
Anja and Paul lead a pair of cracks, 5.8 and 5.6.  Ken led a 5.7ish crack not in the guidebook to the right.
Anja on the 5.8 crack
Ken on the 5.7 crack
Anja top roped a 5.11 on the face between the 5.8 and 5.7
Ken and Crystal joking around at the top of the 5.8 and 5.6.
We had some fun on top ropes

While we were there Eric and Mono showed up with there girlfriends and wanted to climb a 5.4 to make sure the lady's had a good time with there first time climbing experiene.  Unforcantately the 5.4 was pretty much a solo so Eric wasn't very excited about it.  I walked over and headed up it Mono was talking with the lady's who were still wondering about how to climb this and said he and Eric had found a solution...Ken.  I thought it was pretty fun but was very comfortable on the climb so no problem.  Later I checked back in with them and Eric's girlfriend had enjoyed the climb but Mondo's girlfriend was struggling with the heights.  She fought though it like a champ but at the top got a little petrified about lower down and just would not lean back and lower.  Everyone tried to talk her through it and explain it felt scarier than it was but no go.  So I soloed half way up to her and tried more to talk her down and she made it about half way after 20 minute.  We talked more and finally I said "I can make you lean back."  Mondo said "do it!" and she almost seemed comfortable with the idea so I clipped into the haul loop of her harness and then pulled her back.  Instantly she was leaning back and Eric lowered us down the climb.  It was a first for me to do a simul lower but I think it worked out.
Anja also went and led a 5.9 on Cave Rock and I cleaned it.

No comments: